Saturday 28 January 2017

Pattern Review // Kwik Sew 4069

I completed the Kwik Sew 4069. It had been on my "to-sew" list since last year. I made the first version in a dark blue, slightly sparkly, light weight stretch fabric and bought some more of the same fabric (but in a different colour) to make a second one. All in all I am very satisfied with this make. Let me share my sewing experience of this pattern with you!

Upside: Only four pattern pieces, simple and very clear sewing instructions.

What you need to know before choosing this pattern:

Beware! The picture on the front does not adequately represent the actual fit of the garments, and the notes on the pattern about just this don't help. On the front cover you see a figure fitting turtleneck and the instructions as well as the pattern pieces warn you that the finished garment will be smaller than your measurements. The instructions also say that you have to use a fabric with at least 75% stretch. I can tell you this: none of this is the case. The finished garment is NOT smaller than your measurements
and you do not need fabric with that much stretch, because of the aforementioned. The garment is loose fitting when you sew it in the size according to your measurements. So a reasonable amount of stretch it enough. I knew in advance that the pattern would be different to the picture and that was the reason I wanted to make it. I wouldn't have bought it if it would be as fitted as in the image on the pattern pouch.  If you would want it to be more fitted, you could just make it a size smaller. 

Woopsies:

On the first version I had to remake the turtleneck-part, as I didn't cut it on the fold but as a single piece. The pattern confused me...it didn't have the little "cut on fold" arrows I am accustomed to... ehem... while sewing it together I thought it looked rather small, but I thought maybe it was supposed to be like that... proportions, distortion... but then I did notice I would never get my head through that little tunnel. I then was certain that I had make a mistake... 

Downside:

For me there are none, as I knew that the finished garment would be very different to the image on the package.



On the left my favoured way of wearing it: tucked in. And on the right picture you can see the actual length of the top.


Can you see the fabric shine and sparkle like Edward? Well I guess you cannot really see it in the pictures, but it actually sparkles ever so slightly when the sunlight hits the face fabric. 



Happy sewing everyone! 


1 comment:

  1. This is such a useful post and the first review that has confirmed I am not going mad. I saw the pattern and was completely confused as it seems so large. I feel a bit better now that I know that I am right to suspect the finished article will not be close-fitting. Unlike Sammy though, I am really disappointed as I did want a close-fitting article and not being experienced I don't know if I can successfully make the necessary changes. Thanks for a great post.

    ReplyDelete