Sunday 15 January 2017

Wardrobe Architect // 1 Making your Style more Personal

Colette advises to think about your own personal story and how it effects your style using the bullet points History, Philosophy, Culture, Community, Activities, Location and Body.


  • History: I have always been interested in what I was wearing. Even as a little child I would request certain patterns on the clothes my grandmother would knit for me. I guess that has always stayed the same: I am very particular about what I wear and I rather choose my clothes myself. I used to like clothes with an interesting twist. But generally speaking, my style has become more toned down. No feather jackets anymore..

  • Philosophy: Is there a certain philosophy I would like to see reflected in my style? Nothing comes to me right now...

  • Culture: The culture I grew up in didn't have any particular rules of dress. Although coming to think of it, people around here do tend to wear more toned down, dark colours. Greys, blacks, beige, browns... Hardly any loud patterns or bright colours. May be the cool and rainy climate... in summer things get a little more adventurous, like white. That color palette is an aesthetic value that has definitely influenced me. Also I can name a classic, figure flattering silhouette as an aesthetic influence. As for archetypes, or certain figures in culture, the style of Audrey Hepburn, Sofia LorĂ©n and Frida Kahlo appeal to me, and as for present figures, I have always be partial to Kate Moss and her somewhat disheveled style as well as to my current favourite, Caroline de Maigret (coming to think of Caroline, her book "How to be Parisian wherever you are" made me believe I might actually not be nutty at all ('looking at your phone and not picking up'), I just live in the wrong country). 

  • Community: My community lies within the culture I grew up in. So aforementioned applies here as well. Additionally I would point out, that my more fashion adventurous friends that dare to break out of the boundaries of the toned down color palette and shapes are also a well appreciated influence.

  • Activities: I go to university, I go to work and as of now I have started to go to the gym. My hobby is sewing, and occasionally I spend quite a bit of time on renovating various parts of the house. And in my free time I like to meet friends. This influences my style how? I can wear pretty much what I like to any of these. If anything, my daily routine has made my style more slobbish, leaning towards comfort. I haven't worn heels in ages (I used to wear heels several times a week).

  • Location: The climate in which we live has a great influence on our choice of clothes. As I live in a cooler climate I do wear jeans, tights and long sleeves most of the year. Boots and closed shoes are in regular use as well. In the warmer months I like to wear suede ballerinas with toe cleavage (important detail), and of course dresses ans skirts. So those dresses are best that can be paired with tights and boots in the cooler months. 

  • Body: What clothes make me feel good or bad? I am 164 cm, so I don't like clothes that make me feel shorter. That is a general rule. Apart from that not much comes to my mind. Oh, and Capri pants are a no-no. Never liked them. Make me think of a middle aged woman with blonde permed hair and blue glasses who hoardes baking supplies and collects coupons. Coming to think of it, I am describing my aunt...

The Wardrobe Architect

No comments:

Post a Comment