Friday 3 February 2017

Pattern Review: New Look 6483 (easy cami)

Firstly, let me excuse my pale and seemingly somewhat pinkish winter skin to you. I swear I resemble Miss Piggy less in real life.

I got my inspiration to tackle this pattern from the Rosa on the youtube channel "Sewn". As it does not require a lot of fabric I thought it would be the perfect stash buster. I had just a little bit of this marvellous elephant-print cotton left over from making a Tilly and the Buttons "Clemence" skirt. Truly I have to say that this light weight cotton was a better match for this New Look pattern than it was for the "Clemence". I bought the fabric over two years ago and the rests of this fabric were just lying in my fabric stash waiting to be used.

Upsides:

It is a real stash buster! Construction is straightforward and the cute details like the hook and eye in the back and the side slits give it a little extra edge. Also the pattern comes with five variations for sleeves and necklines.

Downside:

The sizing is very odd. I made it according to my measurements but it had so much ease, it looked like a tent. I could have nearly fitted two arms through the armholes. I also had enough room for an extra pair of bosoms. So I guess I either measured something incorrectly or it has massive ease. It did fit me around the hips though. It was just the top half that was so extremely ill fitting. Maybe I will find out if it was my error or of that's just the way the pattern distributed the ease when I make it a second time. Until then I would advise everyone who wants to makes this to carefully inspect and measure the pattern pieces you have cut out. I just took the top in at the side seams where necessary to make it fit better.

What I learnt with this pattern:

Sewing an all-in-one neckline-armhole facing! And I love the look of it. So neat and tidy! I also made side-slits for the first time.



The hook and eye is a nice detail

It is funny how sometimes your feelings towards a garment will change when sewing. I really did not like the top when I had it finished. It may be due to the sizing problem that made me feel a bit frustrated. I have had it hanging the cupboard for quite some time (I think it must be a couple of months actually) and only come to like it now. I can actually see me wearing this when spring comes along.




Happy sewing everyone! 



No comments:

Post a Comment